Monday, December 6, 2010

Popsicle Stick Snowflakes

Toddler, Pre-K, K
Kids of any age can have fun with this simple cold weather craft.

To make this craft you will need:
  • 4 Popsicle sticks
  • Glue
  • White Paint (optional)
  • Glitter (or you can use Kosher Salt like I did--optional)
  • String/yarn/ribbon
  • Stapler or tape
Simply give your child four sticks and let them cross them over until they have the snowflake pattern they want. You can use as a little as 3 sticks, or even as many as 5. Since I only had the jumbo sized sticks, I settled with 4.

Glue your sticks in place and let dry. Your kids will have to find other ways to occupy themselves until the glue is completely set.

Now, I combine painting and "accessorizing" in one step. I let the kids paint their snowflakes white and while the paint was still wet we shook Kosher salt all over them. I am not a huge fan of glitter since it makes such a mess--but the truth is--I just didn't have any at the time. And, now that they are dry I love the "crystallized" look the salt gave them!

Shake off the excess glitter or salt and let try again. I stapled a ribbon to the back of my kids snowflakes and hung them in the window. You can tape the ribbon or string as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment