Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Egg Carton Craft

Toddler, Pre-K, K, 6 & Up














I found this idea and thought it was super cute! I made it for my toddler--but I let him paint the egg carton. An older child could do the entire craft themselves, but if you have the supplies your younger one will LOVE opening and closing the groundhog's den.

To make this craft you will need:
  • Egg carton
  • Brown paint
  • Brown or black pom pom
  • Glue
  • Googly eyes (optional)
You need to portions of the egg carton cut out, one for the top, and one for the bottom. Let your child paint these brown.

When the paint is dry, put some glue on the inside of one of the cups and glue a brown pom pom inside. If you have small pom poms you may want to smash several together to make him big enough to fill the cup bottom.

You can add eyes to him if you would like.

Now, the idea I found said to tape the top to the bottom. Tape did not work for me--but I had clear tape. I bet if you have good masking tape it will work fine. So, I improvised and pierced the top and bottom with a knife and put in a brass brad. It doesn't open very wide with that in place, but it is plenty for my kids to play peek-a-boo with the groundhog.

As you can see I jazzed my groundhogs burrow up a little. Let your child be creative.

2 comments:

  1. This is so darn cute, I can't believe no one has told you what a great idea this is! Your photo is so irristable I am pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute idea!! I have not seen this one before. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete