Thursday, March 17, 2011

Counting Coins

Toddler, Pre-K, K

What a fun idea this turned out to be for Thomas!

I had the idea to start introducing counting to him. He already knows 1, 2...3! Because it usually means something fun afterward. So, I came up with this idea, and he has been playing with it for days!!

To make this counting craft you will need:
  • Pot of Gold pattern
  • Black marker
  • Gold coins (so MUCH easier)
  • or make your own coins:
  • Cardboard
  • Glue stick
  • Gold paper (I used a gold gift bag from the 1$ store)
You can find many pot of gold patterns online, pick on you like and print it out. Trace your coins on the pot. I did 10 of them to learn to count to 10. My idea was to hide the coins and let him find them, but he saw what I was making and couldn't wait.

We would place the coins on top of the drawn coins on the pot and count.

Now, in hindsight, I shouldn't have numbered the coins I made (I just cut circles from cardboard and glued on the gold paper). Just number the paper circles. It is less confusing.

And, his favorite part about the idea was that I found a wooden box in the $1 store as well, and this was his treasure box. He LOVED keeping them in there and opening and closing the box and taking out his treasure. And the lesson worked so well! He really is counting out the numbers (not in order yet, but still he is getting there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment